Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Granny Squares

I've attempted crocheting Granny Squares a few times. I failed. The irony is back when I was very young my Nanny taught me how to crochet and I could crochet those tea towel holders and everything. Anyway, after reading over at Meet Me at Mikes about their Granny Square's for Beginners I thought I'd grab a ball of 8ply from our local shop and give it ONE last attempt before I condemed myself to never crocheting again.

Ta da... I used the instructions over here and last night managed my first Granny Square (that looks like a square). Something clicked and I got how it worked and I made 4 more this afternoon and the last one was even without referring to the instructions. All I want to make is one of those nice Nanna blankets and then I'll probably never crochet again.

The photo is shocking, but the yarn is that yellowy-mustard colour. I'm thinking maybe a beige, chocolate and a teal blue to go with it?

6 comments:

CurlyPops said...

Congratulations! I still haven't had the courage to try again yet...

Liesl said...

Lovely squares - congratulations! If you want to feel better about all your previous granny square attempts, just take a look over here. (I'm not proud, but its good for a laugh!)

Granny on!

Car said...

Great Work Lisa! I've just managed to teach myself as well - guess what I'm doing over Easter!

Bek said...

I've been seriously considering the need to learn to crochet. I've never done it before. From what I've heard, sounds like I'll need to be patient (not a crafty strength..)- but I want to make a blanket too! These little mustard squares look great!

meetmeatmikes said...

Oh LOOK! You did it! GO YOU! Fantastic work! xx

handmaiden said...

great job, I have not even tried!!