Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Mug Rug #1

Ok so I totally didn't get what the deal was with "mug rugs". I've seen them popping up all over blogs and flickr lately, even swaps happening, they are just a large coaster, right?

But now I kind of get it... a little "something" for a gift, my first test at making a dresden circle (if that's what it's even called) and an instant sewing fix, cut and sewn in one night.

I made this rug up using some Denyse Schmidt fabric from Spotlight as well as some linen and matching red homespun. An added a hand embroidered "TEA" and quilted in semi circles, all ready to be gift wrapped.

After some flickr browsing I came across some amazing "mug rugs", and I think the appeal to them is like "doll quilts" which I've also never made, it's a chance to try some different quilting skills, use up pieces of fabric, all without having a bunch of quilts laying around.

3 comments:

The O's said...

I didn't quite get them either but I had a mug rug epiphany a few months ago and now they are on my 'teachers gift making' list for Xmas pressies. One of these days I will get my head around some sewing...

Ellyn said...

very cute. Yes, that's what I have been doing, using them to learn new skills. Specifically free motion quilting.... which scares me! But on a little mug rug it's not so overwhelming!

Holly U said...

I didn't get them either, until one day I noticed that my coffee and water mugs at work sat on an old mouse pad. The mug rug I made is a vast improvement!