Monday, September 9, 2013

Cat in the Hat Dress Up

Our school's book week is on this week, and while girl dress-ups we have plenty of, boys are restricted to various caped Super Heroes, one Samari Power Ranger and a couple of transforming robots, none of which I really think are "book characters", much to my dear husband insistence that the Super Heroes did first feature in comic "books", we decided on Liam's favourite book character, The Cat in the Hat.
Cat in the Hat Dress Up
Already having the hat which I made for Liam's Dr Seuss 4th birthday party, I drafted up an all-in-one suit in black homespun. I started with a basic tshirt pattern for the bodice, but cut the back in two pieces and included a zipper. The sleeves were drafted for 3/4 length and a facing around the neckline. I extended the bodice to include the legs and pieced the back in two so I could include a tail. The front has a white felt tummy, red felt bow tie sewn on and sewed up some white basic felt gloves.
Cat in the Hat Dress UpEverything came from the stash including the zipper, so I am very happy with his "free" book week costume, and he loves it... Cat in the Hat book week dress up Cat in the Hat book week dress up Cat in the Hat book week dress up Cat in the Hat book week dress up
Cat in the Hat Dress Up

1 comment:

Ellyn said...

what a fantastic job you did!