My first "Fave Foods" post is definitely one top of the list for both the kids and us adults.
The sauces for the chicken marinade are originally from a Kylie Kwong recipe, but her recipe then uses dried mushroom and hokkein noodles etc. whereas we tweaked the recipe to use fresh Asian mushrooms, our favourite Asian greens and ramen or soba noodles.
Chicken & Mushroom Noodles
Serves family of 4 plus lunch for husband
- 500g chicken, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely diced ginger OR 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- dash of sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Packet of Ramen or Soba noodless or 600g fresh Hokkien noodles
- 1 packet mixed fresh Asian Mushrooms (we love Oyster and Enoki)
- 2 bunches baby bok choy OR any asian greens, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 carrot, julienned (optional)
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- Combine ginger, sherry, cornflour, sugar, sesame oil and 1/2 tablespoon of the soy sauce in a medium bowl with the sliced chicken and mix well. If you have time, cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- Cook noodles as per instructions on the packet. Drain, refresh in cold water, then thoroughly drain again.
- Heat peanut oil in a hot wok, add and cook the chicken for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Combine oyster sauce and water together then add and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add noodles, carrot, baby bok choy, and remaining 1/2 tablespoon of soy sauce and stir-fry for about 2 minutes, or until chicken is just cooked through and noodles are hot.
- Serve immediately.